Saturday, January 21, 2012

And Away I Go!

Ever since I found out that I was accepted into DIS 110 days ago, my friends/peers at SLU who also studied abroad with DIS have suggested several things that I MUST see and do while there. I managed to jot down most of their ideas, as they excitedly told me how much fun I was going to have and how jealous they were that I was studying with DIS.

So here's my mini Denmark bucket list (in no particular order):
- Make a trip to see Hamlet's castle (feel like this is a duty since I took a full course in Shakespeare last semester)
- Visit Tivoli Gardens... and try to see a concert there
- Take an iconic Copenhagen picture at the port with friends
- Christiansborg Castle Square
- Go to the best restaurant in the world, Noma (I know I won't be able to afford to eat there, but there's no harm in at least looking at the menu, right??)
- Watch the changing of the guard
- Round Tower
- Little Mermaid Statue
- Visit as many royal castles as possible (glad I'm in "Royalty in the Land of Equality" course)
- Eat a Danish... probably more like Danishes!! But at least one must be from Lagkagehuset (saw it on travel channel, of course: http://www.travelchannel.com/video/sam-eats-a-danish-danish-11095)

My biggest goal for this semester abroad is pretty simple- live the life of a Dane. And while I know this may be hard at times (especially because Americans always manage to stick out like a sore thumb in Europe), my hope is that when I return home in May I'll be able to say that I successfully accomplished my intention.

And so today's the day.... here's to the best semester ever in Denmark!!!

Vi ses snart

2 comments:

  1. As a SLU and DIS Alumni I must recommend you add eating a snegle to your bucket list! It's pronounced snail and is the most delicious cinnamon roll I have ever eaten! They're sold at a bakery just a few blocks from DIS and the chocolate covered ones are the best. :) Enjoy your semester!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great suggestion- some of my SLU friends and I made it to the bakery (St. Peter's) that sells snegle yesterday and you were absolutely right, they are delicious!

      Delete